Greece

Fast Facts:
Greece's Flag
Greece's Flag

Population: 10,760, 136 PeopleMajor Cities: Athens, Tessaloniki, Larisa, Volos, Patrai, Irakleion, Sparti, and PireasArea: 50, 949 sq milesPhysical features: Mediterranean Sea, Aegean Sea, Thermaikos Kolpos, and the Iionian Sea
Natural Resources: Lignite, petroleum, iron ore, bauxite, lead, zinc, nickel, magnesite, marble, salt, and hydropower potential
Exports: Feta cheese, olives, olive oil, Greek herbs, telecommunication hardware and software, pottery textiles, tobacco fruit, vegetables, clothing, alcoholic drinks/beverages, steel, and aluminum






Physical Geography:The country Greece is divided in three sections; the Mainland, Islands, and the Aegean Basin. Greece is bordered by many seas including the Aegean Sea on the East, Mediterranean Sea on the Southern border, and the Ionian Sea on the West. It is temperate and mild. It has wet winters
Santorini
Santorini
and hot summers. It is mostly mountains with ranges extending into the sea as peninsulas or chains of islands. 80% of Greece is mountainous. The major mountain range in Greece is Mount Olympus. There is the Pindus which is also a chain of mountains. Greece also has volcanoes and some that are still active. Western Greece contains lakes, wetlands, and plains. Off the coast of G
Map of Greece
Map of Greece
reece is over 2,000 islands including Crete and Rhode. 20% of Greeks landmass is islands. They have deep valleys and rugged highlands. Greek's coastline is one of the longest in the world, which includes 15,000 kilometers of coastline. The lowest point is the Mediterranean Sea and the highest point is Mount. Olympus. Some features are the Parthenon Temple, Santorini, and the Sanctuary of Athena.





Athens
Parthenon
Parthenon
Athens is the capital of Greece and the most populated. Its population is 3.252 million people. Athens goes back to 3000 BC and is known as the "Cradle fo Civilzation". Athens got its name by The Parthenon which is for Athena, a Greek god.They have major mathematical principles and created the orgins of theater. It is home of the first Olympic games which was held in 776 BC and then in 1896 and 2004. These Olympic games are taken very seriously. It is home of the gods which live on Mont Olympus. It has a acropolis, "Acro" meaning high, and "Polis" meaning city which the Parthenon is on. There has been a Sacred Hill where they honor gods and it still stands
Temple of Posidion
Temple of Posidion
with all of the natural disasters it went through. It is on a peninsula that stretches southeast ward into the Aegean Sea. It is on the Plain of Attica, surrounded by three mountains which stretches around 15 square miles. The seaport in Athens is called Piraeus which is five miles away from the coastline. Some attractions are the Acropolis, Parthenon, National Archeological Museum, Cape Sounion, Temple of Posidion, Lycabettus Hill, Syntagma Square, Agora, Paka, Filopappos Hill, and the Temple of Olympian Zeus.
Greek Culture:Religion and Language:In Greece, the major religion is Greek Orthodox which is the Eastern Orthodox Chruch of Crist. It is 98% of the total religion. Muslim and other religions are the other 2%. 99% of them speak Greek. The other 1% speaks all different languages.Important Dates:They got there independence in 1829 from the Ottoman Empire. The national holiday is March 25, 1821. The constitution is on June 11, 1821.Transportation:They have 81 airports, 9 heliports, 2,548 km of railroads, 117,533 km of roadways, 6 km of waterways. The ports and terminals are called Agioi, Theodoroi, Aspropygos, Piraeus, and Thessaloniki.
Red dyed eggs
Red dyed eggs
Holidays:
Easter and Holy Week are the most important holidays of the year. New Year is more festive than Christmas. For New Year, they have blue paper ships to symbolize the ship that brought St. Basil to Greece. For Easter, they hide a silver coin in the dough of a special bread spiced with sinnamo, nutmeg, and orange peel. Wealth comes to whoever finds the coin. Also, it is a tradition that they dye their eggs red. For Easter, a lot of people eat roasted lamb. Their birthdays is dedicated to the saint for whom they are named rather than the day of their birth.Living:They live in flat roofed houses of stone or brick without running water or electricity. A basic family has a husband, wife, and their unmarried children. They live with their family until they are ready to buy their own houses. Feuds may develop over land, property, political power, or other issues and manifest themselves in insults, theft, and even murder.
Greek Clothing
Greek Clothing
Clothings:They wear western clothing. The traditional festival clothes are tunic, vest, and tights pants that are bound at the knee. There clothes are usually made of wool and linen. Kids wear a wrap till about their mid shorts. Men wear tunics, usually one side over their shoulder. Many people usually went barefoot for their whole life. Some wear leather sandols though. Greek women wear sheets wrapping it around their body and pinning it to make it stay. They could also wear a belt to make sure the sheet does not fly upwards. When it is cold men and women usually wore blankets made of wool to keep them warmer. Foods:Some herbs are thyme, basil, oregano, rosemary, rue, and sage. Lamb is the basic meat and olive oil predominates. Some staples are rice, meat, figs, shich kebab, feta cheese, and whole grain bread with meals. Typical Greek dish consists of ground meat with spices, rice, and herbs that are often rapped in leaves. Pastries are paper thin dough called filo that are usally eaten during the afternoon or late night snacks. Drinks are Ouzo, Retsina, and Yiassas.Education:Education has been affected by poverty and war a lot. Education is free and compulsory for nine years till 15. Three optional years in college or preparatory or technical programs are free also. The college is very competitive. They teach the philosophical teaching is Socrates, Plate, and Aristotle. They were philosophical thinkers who thought of mathematical terms. Their ideas are still used today. Also, we could have built on their thinkings to create something better and easier. Farming and Agriculture:Some cash crops are grain, olives, cotton, tobacco, and fresh fruit. Usually people own less then ten aches of land and have less than ten workers. There are food and beverages, tobacco, textiles, clothings, metallurgy, chemical manufactuing, and shipbuilding. Sports:
Olympic Rings
Olympic Rings
The most popular sport is soccer. Other sports include basketball and volleyball. Olymic games:The Olympic games originated from Greece. Some think that they made the Olympic games for Zeus, the king of all gods. Others think that they were playing for a sacred olive tree someone had brought there to Greece.ABC'sGreek were the first to create alphabets with vowels and all Greek alphabets have sound.gods and goddesses:
Most Greeks are polytheistic and believed in many gods. The Olympian gods were the main deities in Ancient Greece. They have overthrown the Titans and became the rulers of the Cosmos representing the civilzation of the world. They wer majestically and democratically dwelling on Mount Olympus. Mount Olympus is the highest mountain in Greece. The leader of the gods was Zeus. These gods wer born and grew just like humans and some that are married. The only difference was they are unaging and death never came around. They had passions and human weaknesses, but they took on the full resopsibility of their actions. Greek myths refer to the twelve gods of Mount Olympus. There are more Olympian Gods in Creek Mythology. The four alternative gods were Hestia, Hades, Dionysus, and Demeter. Some gods and goddesses are Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Hades, Athena, Hermes, Aphrodite, Apollo, Artemis, Ares, Hephaestus, and Dionysus.Diffe
Kefalonia Beach
Kefalonia Beach
rent Rates
Life expectancy: Male:77.36Female: 82.65Infant morality Rate:5 deaths/ 1,000 birthsLiteracy Rate:Ages 15 and older can read and writeMale: 97.8Female: 94.2School Life Expectancy:Total: 17Male: 16Female: 17For more information you can visit:On this wiki:Casey-GreeceShaye-GreeceOther Links:CIA-WorldFactbook GreeceGreek god links:gods and goddesses